Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Wee-Fee

I woke up in Larrasoana to a rooster crowing. Every morning my calves and shoulders are sore. I charged ahead of the boys and spent the morning daydreaming. Martin is the best at downhilll, John owns at uphill, and I am Speedy Gonzales on flat ground.

I love that sometimes we have a chat and sometimes we march in silence. I enjoy learning something new about them each day. Martin Nugent is in Ireland's Reserves. He was once a plumber and a construction worker. Now he is going to school to be a social worker and plans to help recovering heroin addicts. He speaks frequently of his trip to Thailand and is obsessed with Finland. John Nelson is from Long Island. His fiancee broke up with him a month ago so he quit his job and decided to do the Camino. Since 2013 he has lost 150 pounds. He wants to be a high school teacher and a fitness trainer.

Martin told me there are two types of attorneys in Ireland - barristers and soliciters. Barristers go before the court and try cases. Soliciters act as a halfway man (or woman) between barristers and clients, because barristers are not allowed to correspond directly with clients. He says a barrister is nothing without his relationships with the soliciters. Martin can't believe how much law school will cost but also can't believe the income potential.

We walked through Pamplona today, which is the city where running of the bulls takes place every July. Their Spanish is very easy to understand! It is unkind to have beginning students learn Spanish in Andalucia. I experienced a bit of shock walking through the city. It was the first time in days I saw humans other than pilgrims. Sometimes while walking I can only hear the faint sound of a cowbell in the distance or birds chirping. Today we dodged cars like Frogger.

The albergue in Cizur Menor was five euros and includes breakfast. We put our boots in a separate room before we dropped off our bags. The entire hostel reeked of old man feet. Martin and I split the bottle of wine served with our pilgrim menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment