Tuesday, June 10, 2014

USA! USA!

This morning at breakfast as I was about to put what I believed to be honey on my buttered toast a Spanish woman sitting near me gasped. She told me it was olive oil and that I should try putting olive oil, sugar, and then olive oil on the bread. It was perfection! The table laughed when I went to make two more and laughed again when I said 'Es mejor!'

I walked up to the famous pilgrim statue at Alto de Perdon. It read: 'Donde se cruza del viento con el de las estrellas.' ('Where the way of wind meets the way of the stars.') It is said that if pilgrims made it to the summit their sins would be forgiven.

I met Pablo from Madrid this afternoon. He asked if I got hungry during the night since we eat dinner at seven and don't eat breakfast until eight. I wanted to tell him about Taco Bell's fourth meal but decided against it. This is his eighth time doing the Camino, although he has never completed it. He said the northern path along the coast was his favorite. He also said the food in Galicia was the best in all of Spain. He recently found out his girlfriend cheated on him with his friend six months ago, so he came looking for answers. There are a lot of broken hearts on the Camino. Poor Pablo!

We talk frequently of the people we have met and wonder how they are doing. I think of Dana from Tennessee, wagon guy, Chelsea Handler, the bread girl, the couple that always picnics, Terry Bradshaw, the teacher, Laura from South Carolina, the drunk Irish guy (redundant), the injured Scottish guy, and the Marine.

After dinner I learned how to play Mau Mau (essentially Uno) with a Dutch girl, a German, an Irishman, and an Australian. I won! I obnoxiously chanted 'USA! USA!' And they told me to go back to America.  Victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment