Sunday, June 29, 2014

I have one question, what is your answer?

A dear friend emailed me asking for my answer to a previous post. I think it is really important, and I am thankful for his thoughtful question.

"Small talk does not exist here. I have shared more in a few hours with strangers than I have with some of my oldest friends. Everyone asks why you are here and what you are looking for  and where you think you are going."

Why I'm here:
I felt that my life was in disarray, and I was filled with self-doubt about attending law school, leaving San Diego, quitting Procopio, etc. I thought the Camino could help sort it all out. I spend anywhere from five to ten hours hiking each day. It is interesting what comes to the forefront of your mind. I have been able to focus on what I value and what is important to me, with no distractions. Sometimes I can be such a square. I hope to return with a lighter heart. Everything will always work out!

What I'm looking for:
Clarity. I have discovered I need to believe in myself and have more confidence. In the past, I have talked myself out of doing things before I even try. It is dumb! You always strike out if you never step up to the plate, right? I frequently let fear hold me back from trying new things. Many have asked what my passion is. Right now I feel my passion is working really hard, learning as much as I can, and being successful in my career. I have had the privilege to work with many impressive attorneys that I greatly admire and respect. I want to be just like them! I have many interests but nothing that I am truly passionate about. Interests are all anyone ever really cares to hear about. Is it an instrument, travelling, writing? Everyone here has differing life perspectives, and I am captivated by their narratives.

Where I think I'm going:
I don't know, but I think that is part of the journey. I plan too much. I realized I need to spend more money on travel. I hate that it took me four years to return to Europe. I spend a lot of hours each day planning my next trip(s). People here decide to do something, and then they do it. The sentiment is contagious! My dream is to do Machu Picchu. It would maybe cost me $1,500. Why haven't I done it yet? I have plenty of money, and I will always make more money. It is silly. It is overwhelming and exciting to be young. I can go anywhere and do anything. The options are endless! 

No comments:

Post a Comment