Friday, June 13, 2014

Estella to Navarette

Yesterday was the most challenging day by far. It began with a stop at the Irache Wine Fountain, which reads: 'Pilgrim, if you wish to arrive at Santiago full of strength and vitality, have a drink of this great wine and make a toast to happiness.' And since I want to arrive at Santiago full of strength and vitality I did just that - drank before eight am. It was the best free wine from a fountain that I have ever had.

Then I spent five hours hiking while swatting at flies. I wish I had a tail on my face. I met Peter Klein from Budapest in Sansol. He is a designer for Perez Hilton's website. When I didn't initially understand what he said, he clarified. 'Big, celebrity, gossip, gay.' Sometimes it is like playing charades.

I walked 32km today. I have not listened to music since I began a week ago. I did talk to myself for a bit today. I spend a good hour per day fantasizing about ditching everything in my backpack. Here is what I will do next time:

The best things that have ever happened to me:

- Sleeping bag liner (I have not contracted any diseases yet)
- Hiking boots (After using improper footwear on my last two European backpacking trips, I promised I would never do it again)
- Guide book (Some brought lightweight versions with less information, but I like learning the history of what I'm walking by)

Things I could do without:

- Running shoes (My hiking boots do the job just fine)
- Northface (I would only bring the rain jacket, not the zip in fleece)
- Enough medicine for a hospital (If I don't take medicine at home, what made me think I would take it here?)

I got to Logrono early and decided to treat myself to churros con chocolate. When I finished the churros, the woman asked if I wanted milk in my cup. WHY DIDN'T I KNOW THIS 100 CHURROS CON CHOCOLATES AGO? If I learn nothing else on this trip, it has been well worth it. Now I will be enjoying a glass of chocolate milk after every churros con chocolate. Thanks bartender lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment