Saturday, June 21, 2014

Happy Half Birthday to Me!

What a glorious day! I felt very celebrated.  Everyone in the albergue sang me happy birthday in English and Spanish during breakfast. Carolina from Colombia gave me bubbles, Frank bought me a giant pack of Oreos and a fake flower, the hostel lowered the price of my room, and we put a candle in a Bueno and I made a wish. 

Frank shared with me that his passion is to be a life coach. When I told him that one of my goals is to be more present and appreciative in the moment as opposed to always moving on to the next thing, he asked for an example. I told him that when I graduated from university I never really celebrated - I checked it off my list of things to do and spent too much time stressing about finding a job. He insisted that we drop our bags, dance to music, jump as high as we can, and scream at the top of our lungs. We laughed a lot. I told him later in the day about my mom and he stopped me from walking, gave me a giant, long bear hug, and said, 'I'm so sorry.' It was a great moment of two humans being humans. He is such a dear.

I taught Frank the words 'cinch' and 'curfew' in English, and he taught me the difference between 'plano' and 'llano' in Spanish.

I'm enjoying the last blue skies I will ever see before I move to San Francisco. The last few days have been wonderful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment