Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Paulista Ave.

São Paulo's financial district, Paulista Avenue, is closed to traffic on Sundays. It was raining, so there weren't many people out, but it still felt like a rock n roll marathon. People were dancing, doing Zumba, playing music, selling crafts. I was vibin.

Next I went to the Sunday market, called Mercado Municipal. I had the best pastrami sandwich of my life (suck it NYC!), which is what the market is known for. I googled pastrami in portuguese to make sure I was vocab equipped before I set off, but when I got to the market I didn't see the word. It turns out it's mortadela! I saw a man eating the sandwich I wanted to eat, got a menu, and asked him to point to the sandwich he was eating. I wish my belly was bigger so I could have eaten the whole thing right then and there but I got it para llevar and ate it for dinner.

Everything was closed on Sunday, so I couldn't get wifi to call an uber to get to MIS, the museum of image and sound. A woman named Paula that I met at Rosemary told me I had to go while I was there. I figured I could beat the rain and make it to the museum. I was dead wrong. I wore my allbirds because I wanted to be cute but I ended up soaking wet. I pulled out my map at one point and a bus drove by, drenching me in a waterfall from head to foot, just like in the movies. I lol'd. The museum wouldn't check my coat, even though I was dripping on the floor of the exhibition. I looked especially uncute next to the beautiful, dressed up Brazilian women. I did make them save my pastrami sandwich, even though the paper bag was drenched and broken. She tried to tell me no, but the sandwich! 

The temporary exhibit was on Steve Jobs and I didn't learn much. They showed the evolution of the apple product, but my dad had each of those computers. I used to shred on Mavis Beacon on my dad's apple. 


No comments:

Post a Comment