Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Depilação

My Monday mission was to get a depilação, aka a Brazilian in Brazil!

I went to this super hip coffee spot called Coffee Lab that my super hip hostel worker suggested. If I fail the bar I am moving to São Paulo and studying there. It was hands down the best coffee of my entire life. No milk, no sugar, just pure bliss. I got it paired with chocolate and cheese and the workers asked me which one I liked best. I didn't need to taste to know that the chocolate was better. They also asked me to say some English sentences they couldn't pronounce and then laughed as they tried to attempt them. One sentence was "Can I take it off?" It sounded frisky but I didn't ask. I liked the place so much I stayed for carrot cake, which was the worker's favorite. It did not disappoint.

Since all the museums and restaurants were closed on Monday, I decided to get that Brazilian. I was nervous! I did my research so I knew the word and could point to it when asked. I found a classy place, and when she asked where I wanted to get it done I pointed to my gine. The woman kept using the pronoun "he" and I mentally prepared for a male waxer. 

She charged me a steep gringo tax and I gave her a sly look but she knew I wanted it. It should have cost me R$25 but she charged me R$65 and I gave R$70. Still only cost me $22 sucka! That shit in the land of the free costs me $65 so we both win. The waxer (a woman! Hooray!) didn't speak English, so I considered it less of a gringo tax and more of a translation fee. The wax was not as painful as the silence between us. 


No comments:

Post a Comment