Saturday, August 12, 2017

Cuba es Nuestra

Brooke and Noor do Cuba!

I took the CA bar exam, moved out of the tiny home, and flew to Havana with Noor. Let four month bar trip begin!

Noor and I stayed in an airbnb near Havana Vieja. We got scammed our first day! A couple approached us when we were looking for food and suggested a restaurant. They told us that most tourist places charge 30 CUC but this place only charged 15 CUC. We even looked at the menu! They asked us if we would give them money for their children's milk, and being the cold-hearted monsters that we are, Noor and I said no gracias k thx byeee. We later learned that meals cost about 3-8 CUC (the conversion to the dollar is the same). Joke is on them though! That pollo was straight delicious.

I was surprised at how much I liked seeing the old cars. We took an hour long driving tour in an orange convertible. Our driver said his family has owned the car for 45 years. His grandfather bought it for 500 CUC and now it is worth 20,000. I couldn't tell if he was wearing a costume but he looked fierce.

The air conditioning went out the first night, and I wasn't sure if I was going to make it. We called our host, who came in twenty minutes, even though it had gone out in the entire building. Thanks, Mikhail! Noor said it happens frequently in India but damn it was hot.





No comments:

Post a Comment