Sunday, July 6, 2014

So close!

In Palas de Rei, I stopped off the path to pick up groceries. I went nuts! I bought two packs of Principes, shampoo, a banana, bread, cheese, ham, a tomato, and a Milka. A woman in her car stopped me to let me know I was heading in the wrong direction. After the store when I was eating my lunch, a man asked if I needed help finding the Camino. So sweet! I slept in Melide, home of Pulpo Gallego aka boiled octopus. I need to try it, but Odei suggested getting it in Finesterre since I will be closer to the coast.

I kept getting off track on my way to Arca. I think I am distracted, because I am so close to Santiago. At a donativo stand two boys stopped me and said they donated five euros but only took four euros of stuff. They offered the remaining euro to me if I wanted to take something. Muy amable! I decided on homemade coffee cake. I was so delighted, I skipped along right off the trail. A man came out of his house and told me to turn around and make a left near the fruit stand. I ran into two Spanish girls who made the same mistake, so I directed them the right way.

I stopped in Arzua, a city known for its delicious creamy cheese. I poked my head into a meat and cheese shop and asked if they were open. It was owned by a husband and wife team. They said I was brave for coming so far from home by myself to do the Camino. She had large blocks of cheese for sale, but I told her I just wanted to try it. She broke open one and only charged me eighty-five cents. Bless her heart! I asked her if I can eat the rind, and she said yes but it would be hard. After second thought, she asked for it back, undid the wrapping, and cut off the rind for me. All those years of Spanish really paid off!

I took a lunch break by the river and ate my sandwich, cheese, and cashews. It was an afternoon well spent. I did laundry in Arca so I will be glammed upon my arrival to Santiago.

Side note - I smashed my phone screen when I knocked it off a table onto cobblestone. Cool story though! Also, apparently the hottest yogurt in town in blackberry greek yogurt, because it has been stolen from me twice!

No comments:

Post a Comment