Monday, July 7, 2014

June 7 - July 5

After 500 miles in 29 days, I made it to Santiago. I hope I never forget this feeling! On my way in, I was greeted by Steven. I was the first person he saw that he knew. It was a joyous moment, and we embraced. I was very happy to see him. After the worst blisters I have ever seen and getting bed bugs in Leon, he beat me in by eight hours. He told me he did a 65k day. Crazed!

The cathedral was another 5k into the city. Such a tease! I dropped off my backpack for two euros and made it in time for noon mass. When the nun started singing, I teared up a bit. She had the voice of an angel! There were hundreds in attendance; we worked hard and long for this moment. In the last 20k, I thought about the support I have at home. I am thankful for them believing me to be things I didn't think I was: brave, fearless, strong. I was congratulated by strangers during the final hour of walking. I saw pilgrims laugh, hug, cry, collapse, dance, and sing when they made it to the square in front of the cathedral.

I am especially happy I made it to the noon mass, because I saw the botafumiero, which normally only makes an appearance on special occasions. It is the largest censer for spreading incense smoke in the world. It was installed to cover the stench of unwashed pilgrims. It weighs 175 pounds and is five feet tall. It swings back and forth on a pulley system, and it takes eight men to get it going! It is said the botafumiero will come out for a donation of 300 euros. Thank you generous pilgrim! It was quite a spectacle.

I went to the pilgrim office to get my Compostela, and I also got a personalized distance certification (and by personalized they mean handwritten). A volunteer congratulated me for beginning in St. Jean and gave me an extra congratulations for being American and doing the entire trek.

I plan to be here for a few days to meet up with friends that are one to two days behind me. I am beyond excited for them, and I can't wait to share this experience. It is the best feeling in the world.

At my going away party, a friend commended me for setting out on my own and told me she wouldn't even see a movie by herself.

I hope she ended up seeing that movie.

1 comment: