Tuesday, July 8, 2014

"Let's Make Party"

On my way to morning mass I welcomed Emily, Miriam, Richard, Alejandrina, Odei, Tom, and Belinda to Santiago. Like Steven did for me, I showed them all of the places they needed to go. Everywhere I turn there is a familiar face. It feels like it is our city!

I stopped by a precious place named As Maria near my albergue for an afternoon coffee and treat. I never want to leave! My albergue is clean, it has private/hot showers, the workers are super nice, it has a great internet connection, they play awesome music, and it has a terrace, tv, big kitchen, dining area, and lobby. It is worth every penny of the seventeen euros per night.

Jose had his sister's friend that lives in Santiago take us to a place that was not touristy or overpriced, and she ended up showing us As Maria! I knew I had a good sense for these sort of things. The foods we ate were some of my favorites I have had in Spain so far: french fries, stroganoff, chicken wings, falafel, croquetas, zalzo, and homemade liquor. I was heart broken when they were closed on Monday. I had planned to eat every meal there!

The following morning on my way to the train information center I saw Xenia and Christy. Xenia is my favorite person to run into, because she is always bright and cheery and smiling. I took them to the tourist office, checked them into my albergue, showed them the jewelry shop where I bought my necklace, and walked to the grocery store and panaderia. I left them to go eat lunch when I was found by Gil, Niklas, and Gretchen. My people! Gil said they had been asking if people had seen me, and he said they searched in every bar for three days trying to find me. We exchanged emails first thing to ensure it doesn't happen again! 

I can't imagine lacing up my boots again now that I have arrived in Santiago. I am surprised that part of me does not want to walk to Finesterre. I am having too much fun celebrating with friends and talking about all of the wonderful times we have shared together. Slowly but surely, everyone is heading on or heading out. Gil is trying to convince me to go to the beach with him and stay with his friend, and I am tempted. Many that said they were continuing have decided against it. Maybe I need a few days to sort out all of the fabulous celebrations and final conversations. It has been a whirlwind.

Ellie said she loves how positive I always am. Peter said I inspired him everyday to keep walking when he saw me pass him. Frank said he immediately wanted to get to know me after seeing how much I was laughing and smiling across the terrace at the bar. Steven said I was a joy to know and that I was a confident, strong, and happy walker and person. What an experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment