Thursday, July 3, 2014

Newbies

I have nothing bad to say about Ponferrada. I hung out at a castle, Xenia and I shared Japanese prunes that she picked, I ate scrumptious ice cream, and I soaked my feet in a fountain. I agreed to meet Fabricio from Italy in Villafranca del Bierzo the next day. He is paying for his Camino by doing hair wraps. Niklas waited with me, so Fabricio included designs inspired by the American, Italian, and German flags. It made me miss Coral!

I passed through the Puerta del Perdon, where pilgrims that were too sick to continue to Santiago could walk across and receive the same indulgences. New faces started popping up in Villafranca. Fresh pilgrims have an extra skip in their step and a twinkle in their eye. The vibe is different. There are more groups, which changes the conversation dynamic. I appreciate that more Spanish is spoken. Some answer their cell phones while walking, which is jarring when you are used to the soft crunching of boots on the path and the sound of wind through the trees. I felt some of the boys were being insensitive to these pilgrims. Niklas kept calling them Americans! I explained that although their experience will undoubtedly be different from ours, it is still their Camino. It is unfair to be dismissive of their journey. I don't think Jasmine, who began from her doorstep in Belgium ninety days ago, thinks any less of our pilgrimage just because we started in St. Jean. We have a lot to teach and share with them, and we should not minimize their participation. Not everyone is fortunate enough to take off thirty-three days of work!

2 comments: