Thursday, December 15, 2016

Delicate Flower

Rainbow Mountain was a bit of a disaster. We took off in a janky van at 3am. I was carsick but managed to rest. Before we had the car pick us up, I met an obnoxious American named Stephen. While we were waiting on a street corner, every taxi cab driver honked at us. He leaned over to me, clearly annoyed and mumbled something. I replied, "Gotta respect the hustle." And then he said "No." We went on to talk about how the village women came into Cusco to sell potatoes and that he wondered how much they actually made and if it was worthwhile. It sounded like he was making a "find a better job" argument and I hated him.

When we arrived to a small village town for breakfast our tour guide asked us for donations for the local farmers. Stephen asked how much of our tour price went to the villagers and he said none and then Stephen threw a fit and starting talking about ecotourism and Ecuador and then he DIDN'T DONATE and I was like man you're killing my buzz.

Rainbow Mountain was hands down the hardest hike I have ever done. The altitude absolutely killed me! All the way to the top was 5,000 kilometers. After the first huge hill, which was really a mountain, I vommed. The German guy felt really bad for me and told me I had to go one step at a time and so I did.

There was an option to rent a horse for 80 soles but that option was frightening. Although every time I saw someone pass me on a horse I felt sicker and couldn't tell if I was green from envy or green from the altitude. The altitude sickness was like a headache that comes on after a final, but with a stomach ache and dizziness.

I walked with a really sweet guy who was British but lived in Canada. His excitement about traveling was contagious. He kept talking about how fortunate we were to have the means and the time to travel, and everytime me and the German wanted to die he told us "Fortune favors the brave."

At the top, the rainbow mountains were covered in fog, and I laughed. I saw a girl get sick a little. It was so unbelievably hard. It felt like I was out of breath like when I run a half marathon. Oh and it hailed too! It was a crazy day.

On the way down, we appreciated the views, since we couldn't really before, and took breaks and played with stray dogs and I tried to explain to them how Trump got elected.

We went back to the same village farm house for lunch and the second I entered I had to excuse myself and I vomitted right in front of the farmer's front door. But then I ate and everyone was like how were you so sick and the Briton called me a delicate flower and everyone laughed.






 What Rainbow should have looked like
 My view of Rainbow



No comments:

Post a Comment